You have to read seven Legends of Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, a Spanish post-romanticist poet and writer (19th century). The legends are fantastical short stories. As this is the first required reading, you can read the legends translated from Spanish to English (follow the links below):
"Mountain of Souls" ("
de las Ánimas") El Monte
“A ray of moonlight” ("Un rayo de luna")
“Maestro Perez, the Organist” ("Maese Pérez, el organista")
“The Kiss” ("El beso")
“Green Eyes” ("Los ojos verdes")
"The Miserere" ("El Miserere")
"The White Doe" ("La corza blanca")
FIRST WRITING TASK
You have to write an argumentative essay about one of these topics:
- How are new technologies affecting our relationships?
- Sexism in sport.
- Violence in sports.
- Studying abroad for a year.
- Bullying and ciberbullying.
- Youtubers: job or hobby?
- How do video games affect teenagers?
- Negative effects of fast food.
- Who is a real, true friend?
- Social networks and intimacy.
- Are celebrities bad influences today?
- Eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia).
- Pink vs. blue. Gendre roles since childhood.
- The importance os recycling
- How much is too much homework?
- Are school uniforms good or bad idea?
- Does television impinge on your intellect?
- Is our society male-dominated or do we actually practice equal sharing?
- Is global warming real? Global warming: fact or fiction.
- Is cloning good or bad?
- Should abortion be legal?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Arguments for and against euthanasia.
- Should cell phones be allowed in schools?
As it is the first writing task, you can do it in English (at least for the time being) and later you’ll write it again in Spanish. Your classmates have already done this task in our blog:
KIDBLOG CLASS 4º A
KIDBLOG CLASS 4º A
Click the link above and join the class with the code I've given to you this morning. Publish your essay (New Post) as soon as possible.
- Remember that the aim of an argumentative essay is to convince readers to accept the argument you make (thesis) through writing facts that back your opinion.
- The structure of an argumentative essay should include the following sections: an introduction with a clear thesis statement, at least two body paragraphs with supporting evidence and a conclusion the ties the evidence in with the thesis statement and concludes the argument.
- Don´t forget to use discourse markers to connect sentences and paragraphs and check your spelling, grammar and punctuation. And, please, don't copy and taste from the web.